Thursday, May 10, 2007

More on Communion Politics

The Vatican is scrambling to prevent any misinterpretation of Pope Benedict's remarks pertaining to the excommunication of politicians who voted to legalize abortion in Mexico. No, said Rev. Lombardi, the pope is not planning to excommunicate anyone, but "legislative action in favor of abortion is incompatible with participation in the Eucharist". This has a feeling of deja vu surrounding it, given the attempt of some on the American right to inject this into the presidential election of 2004, an unconscionable attempt to exploit and politicize the Eucharist.

Everything I have to say on the matter is here. I have nothing to add to what I already wrote back in January.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My comments I left at Bettnet:

It seems clear to me that the Mexican Bishops were acting under Can. 1369.
Can. 1369 A person who in a public show or speech, in published writing, or in other uses of the instruments of social communication utters blasphemy, gravely injures good morals, expresses insults, or excites hatred or contempt against religion or the Church is to be punished with a just penalty.

The Pope was affirming their authority to do so in his statement, and it does not appear to me at least that the simplest explanation for the Mexican Bishops actions are can. 915. YMMV.

*******
I probably won't write a big post on this because it isn't getting a lot of wide play. It amazes me how stuborn people are in their intellectual beliefs. It is one thing to convince oneself of the applicability of a canon; it is another thing to convince oneself that another person operates under that belief. There is no question that abortion advocacy is gravely evil. Our time is better spent evangelizing than trying to impose our own speculative theories upon bishops. At least we should seek to avoid telling others that our speculative theories are accepted by bishops.

I do believe that a censure at minimum is due from the Cardinal of Mexico City. I would like to see him offer a couple excommunications. I won't be speculating that he has excommunicated himself by failing to do so, unlike some other commentators.

Anonymous said...

Where is Marc Balestrieri when you need him?